Thursday, February 16, 2012

Happy Flowers

"If I had to live my life over, I would start barefoot earlier in the spring and stay that way later in the fall. I would go to more dances. I would ride more merry-go-rounds. I would pick more daisies."
~ Nadine Stair, 85 years old



I really needed to feel like spring is around the corner so I bought some tulips this week.
Set them in a basket and placed some shredded old book pages {from a book that already had lost pages} on the dirt.

   
It's amazing how this one small thing can make a room feel happier.


 I placed these happy flowers on a piece of furniture in our living room that I refinished in white and distressed.  We needed a piece of furniture for under our wall-mounted TV to store all of the kids Wii games and diapers and I'm not going to lie, a few are just junk drawers for a quick clean-up!


I wish I had taken a "before" shot of this one. Trust me,  it was a $15.00 wreck. It was missing two drawer fronts so I had those made by a company in Grand Rapids. The soft pine was pretty nicked up so I just went with that and distressed it after I painted it white.



I didn't want to spend a lot on cabinet hardware so I bought these inexpensive green acrylic knobs and added a few water spigot handles. The green, red and orange colors worked well for Christmas, Valentines and even into Spring. This combination would also work great for kid's furniture, a kids bath vanity or placed on a board and used as hooks. I have another idea for the cabinet hardware on this piece and will change them out soon.


Or I might collect six more of these water spigot handles and add those on for awhile. If you have a piece of furniture that seems tired, just changing the hardware can bring new life to it.

And don't forget those happy flowers...

Blessings, Lori


No comments:

Post a Comment