Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Goodwill Hunting

It is once again that time of year...the gold, orange and crimson leaves have fallen, the mornings are dusted with a crisp frost, and my husband and son are missing. Not to worry though, they can be found safe and sound strapped to a tree stand in a cold, damp woods anxiously awaiting a monster buck like two children waiting for Santa on Christmas Eve night. Call me crazy, but I prefer keeping warm and hunting for cool vintage accessories!
Everyone knows about Goodwill or Salvation Army secondhand stores but you may not be aware that Goodwill has an online auction too. I love Goodwill. I love their mission, the fact that they help so many people (2.4 million last year just in employment and training programs!) and that I can usually find something great there doesn't hurt either. Here are a few of my recent finds from their online auction:

My favorite is this 1914 Illustrated Father Christmas Book.
This would make a fantastic Christmas gift! {Current bid $34 plus shipping}


*

These antique wooden textile spools would bring a fun splash of color to any room. They could be cute placed in a tall glass canister or rustic wood box. {Current bid $7 plus shipping}




*

She's so sweet! A 1921 'The American Woman' framed cover page. {Current bid $5 plus shipping}


*

This Antique Tupler Hardware wood storage chest would also make a great gift for a vintage lovin' guy or girl. It could be used as a jewelry box {extra points for putting it under the Christmas tree with a sparkly, new piece of jewelry in it!} or in a home office. {Current bid $84.94 plus shipping}

*

Here are some of my recent finds that I fell in love with and brought home.


This {real, not a print!} oil painting of a woman and child {found for under $7}.
The little ceramic pig's head and lamb dish {$1 each}. 




I'm a sucker for old books and couldn't pass up this old rusty tricycle either. The pottery was under $2 and I love the intense blue and orange colors.



And some more goodies...



So when you are out hunting for decorations and home decor this Holiday season, stop in to your local Goodwill or Salvation Army and maybe you'll find a unique treasure that you can feel twice as good about knowing your purchase helped a great cause! 

Blessings, Lori 

1 comment:

  1. OMG SO awesome!! I had ZERO idea this existed, and am very afraid! I am an ebay queen!! LVOE buying used!! :) Thx for the tip!!

    ReplyDelete