Friday, October 28, 2011

Hidden Messes = Happy Mama

My husband and I recently had a debate about the need for phone books in our house. In an effort to get rid of some clutter I threw all of ours away only to find out how "important" they are. Anyway, long story short, he won and we have new phone books. We also have a kitchen counter cluttered with three cell phone chargers. So I kept an eye out for a cabinet that could be a cute home for this old and new technological mess. I found the perfect piece a week ago.


First, I painted this cabinet with Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint in "Duck Egg". It's the color of my daughter's chair in the picture below. I distressed it, waxed it, and honestly didn't like it. I didn't want to spend more money on new paint so I starting rummaging through my stock of left-over paint. I found a gallon of Valspar's "Scandinavian Sky" from our recent kitchen make-over and begrudgingly started again.



I then painted a stripe of Annie Sloan's "Old White" across the top cabinet door. My frustration with the project was forgotten when I started distressing it and really loved the underlying  "Duck Egg" peeking through the blue.


New Hickory Hardware from Menards completed the look.



I placed the cabinet in our mudroom and it can now hide all the phone chargers in the top space with the drop-down door. I even gave the phone books a cute make-over with left-over burlap and ribbon. I love the little mail holder so I can stash all the snail mail in there too. 


My pen and pencil holder is a little old mason jar with a water spigot thingy on top. I swear repurposing is a sickness...


Our newly covered phone books...if Google is unavailable you just call me and I'll look it up for you!




"Every leaf speaks bliss to me, fluttering from the autumn tree." - Emily Bronte



Autumn Blessings- Lori

1 comment:

  1. WHY oh WHY have you waited so long to do this blog !!! Holy cats you are talented!! LOVE IT!! Im totally stealing your Spiggot idea :) I love old spiggots!!!

    ReplyDelete