Sunday, November 13, 2011

An Easy Furniture Makeover {Quickie}

I think one of the best things about old furniture and accessories is starting the makeover. "Just wait until I get you home..." takes on a whole new meaning! Trying to get the time to refinish the piece before the new-found-love rush is over and your wandering eyes have convinced your vintage lovin' heart to drag another 5 even prettier pieces home is whole other thing. Case in point, this ol' milk parlor cabinet:


Most of you know me personally and know my background of a milk haulin' family business. For the other 2 readers, I grew up tagging along with my grandpa, my dad, and later my brother in semi-trucks as they picked up milk from the local farmers, pumped it over into doubles, and trucked it to larger plants to be processed and become cheese or yummy ice cream. I still remember the smell of the old milk houses and trying my best to stay awake for the entire route {I don't think that ever happened!} Cows are really divas in cute coats that have to be milked super-duper early every day.


I found this piece from a local fellow "antiquer". The price was right {no, not "free" to all of you haters!} and the old key hooks and smell of a milk parlor sealed the deal. I plan to paint the interior a fun accent color and replace the back panel with beadboard. I just don't want to do that right now. So I decided on a makeover quickie and grabbed some fabric scraps. First, I scrubbed the years and years of character {dirt} off from it. Then, I wrapped each of the shelves in a different accent fabric and tacked them in with white thumbtacks. Lastly, I grabbed some of my favorite accents and filled it up.


A blue and white swag thing I hauled home to make an easy cute little wreath out of by doubling over, tying some orange ribbon on it, and tacking it on the door.



I sprayed some Scotchguard on this fabric to keep it clean and will use a brush to dust it off. I toyed with the idea of placing the accent fabric in the back of the cubbies but I liked the look of it on the shelves instead. I think it really helps to showcase the chachkes.





The sign says, "Believe" not Relieve or any other word you can think up. And believe me, I will pay more attention to my photo angles next time :)
Also, I have no idea who those fancy dressed folks are in the black and whites. I just liked the story they're telling. The back of the baby photo with the two women does say "Grace Sanford with her Grandmother Symonds and Grandmother Sanford". And although the grandmother's faces are as stoic as our patriots chiseled into Mt.Rushmore, I'm sure they were proud as peacocks of this brand new grandbaby. I think we'll keep this one and tell my youngest daughter, whose middle name is Grace, that this is who we named her after...





With the holidays on our doorsteps, these accents may not be here long. My eyes are already wandering to
glittery ornaments and silver reindeer.  

Maybe you have a cabinet that could breathe new life {if only for a few fleeting months during the holidays} with some fabric scraps, fun accents, and an opened door.

Blessings, Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment